MWF Classes - First Day!

|
So I had my first day of teaching yesterday. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday I have 3 classes; one from 4-5:50, one from 6-7:50, and one from 8:05-9:50. My first and last class went pretty well (I think) largely because I had such a big class with 14 students in each so they would talk and volunteer answers. My middle class has only 7 and they are SUPER quiet. I hope that as they get used to me I'll be able to get them talking!

The first class is a group of kids that are in Grade 4 in Korean school, but are reading English at a Grade 2 level. They are a great group of kids, so adorable and alot of fun to joke around with. I have a kid named Dustin in that class, so I was telling him about the Dustin I know from Empire. ah sigh. There's another kid David who s SOO CUTE and he likes to volunteer A LOT of answers.
My second class is in Grade 5 but they are reading at about a grade 1 level in English, so it's a little harder to get them talking and thinking about learning new vocabulary and following along with our stories.
My last class is a mix of students ranging from grade 7-9, reading at a Grade 3 level of English. They seem a little quieter than my first class, but they still offer some answers with a little coaxing. I've learned that it's better to be really animated and maybe a little bit silly in order for the kids to get interested in what you're saying. hehehe there is no shame in my classroom as I used to say to my mom.

I've got to plan a demo lesson for my Tuesday and Thursday classes - which I've been told will likely be a little more challenging. I have some "troublemakers" in one of the classes, so I'm hoping I'll be able to figure out a way to get them to pay attention and behave for me!

0 comments: